1.0 About this policy
2.0 Collection, holding, use and disclosure of your personal information
2.1 The kinds of personal information we collect and hold
We collect and hold personal information about donors, partners, supporters, event attendees, suppliers, participants in fundraising and/or marketing campaigns, volunteers, job applicants, staff members, contractors, entities associated with us and other people who come into contact with us (you).
Without limitation, the kinds of personal information we may collect and hold may include:
- your name and contact details, including your address, email address and telephone number;
- demographic information, such as your date of birth and gender;
- your donation amount and payment details, including credit and debit card details (as relevant);
- where relevant, your employer details (for example, if you participate in workplace giving);
- a history of your transactions, correspondences and interactions with Flinders Foundation;
- where relevant, details about your personal interests;
- information obtained when you use our website, including which of our pages you have accessed.
We may also collect personal information which may be considered sensitive information for the purposes of the Privacy Act for our internal administration purposes or for administering services to you. For example, we may collect medical history information from you, if you are participating in a fundraising or marketing campaign, research study or health initiative.
Sensitive information includes the following type of information: racial or ethnic origin; political opinions; membership of a political association; religious beliefs or associations; philosophical beliefs; memberships; sexual orientation; criminal record. We will take all reasonable steps to ensure that all sensitive information we collect is in accordance with the APPs.
2.2 Purpose of collecting, holding and using personal information
Flinders Foundation collects, holds and uses personal information (except sensitive information, see below) for the following purposes unless otherwise required or permitted by law or expressly approved by you:
- to enable us to carry out functions generally as a fundraising organisation, employer and other associated functions;
- to provide you with marketing materials in relation to fundraising appeals, events, functions, activities, competitions and updates we have available from time to time via any medium, including mail, telephone and email;
- to provide you with the best possible service in supplying you with support services;
- if you are a volunteer or fundraiser, to provide you with information and/or materials in respect of your volunteering, fundraiser or other support services;
- to provide you by mail or email with subscriptions, updates and newsletters;
- if you are a job applicant or a potential contractor, to assess your suitability and (if successful) engage you and to assist with administering your employment or contract;
- to monitor and profile who is accessing and using our websites;
- for our internal management purposes, to manage our relationship with you and to manage the payment and recovery of donations and/or other payments payable to us by you; and
- for other purposes which are reasonably necessary in connection with our ordinary functions and activities.
We will only use sensitive information for the purposes for which it was provided or for a purpose directly related to such purpose, unless you agree otherwise or the use of such sensitive information is required or authorised by law.
If we are unable to collect personal information relating to you, we may be unable to provide you with the services you require or continue our relationship with you and you may be unable to access all or part of our website.
2.3 Disclosure of your personal information
We may disclose personal information about you to the following types of entities if required in connection with the purposes listed above:
- our external support service providers, including to health care professionals, lawyers, other professionals, counsellors, funders, financiers, co-ordinators, volunteers, service providers, agencies and not-for-profits;
- health providers and/or researchers to conduct research studies into the causes of various disease and illnesses, as well as diagnosis, treatment and cures;
- third parties for carrying out our functions and promoting our business purposes (for example, we may provide your contact details to other charitable organisations to contact you with information that may be of interest to you);
- contractors and service providers who perform services on our behalf, such as mailing houses, printers, information technology services providers, database contractors and telemarketing agencies;
- any industry body, tribunal, court or otherwise in connection with any complaint, inquiry or investigation;
- if you have provided us with referees to assist with a job application, or the assessment of a potential contract between you and us, the referees you have provided; and
- other entities with your consent or as permitted or required by law.
We care for, and value, the security of your personal information. We will take all reasonable steps to ensure all third party service providers do not breach the privacy obligations relating your personal information.
2.4 Overseas use and disclosure
We may from time to time utilise data hosting facilities or enter into contractual arrangements with third party service providers to assist us with providing goods and services. As a result, personal information provided to Flinders Foundation may be disclosed to, and stored at destinations outside Australia, including but not limited to, New Zealand, Netherlands, China, Singapore, Hong Kong, Japan, Ireland, Canada, United States of America and the United Kingdom.
Personal information may also be processed by staff or by third parties operating outside Australia who work for us or for one of our suppliers, agents and/or partners.
Prior to disclosing personal information to third party service providers operating outside Australia, Flinders Foundation takes reasonable steps (in those circumstances) to ensure that the overseas recipient will handle that information in a way that does not breach APPs.
2.5 Anonymity and pseudonyms
You have the option to not identify yourself or to use a pseudonym when dealing with us unless we are required by law or a court/tribunal to deal with individuals who have identified themselves or it is impracticable for us to deal with you if you have not identified yourself.
2.6 Direct marketing communications
From time to time, we may use your personal information (except sensitive information) to provide you with marketing materials in relation to fundraising appeals, events, functions, activities, competitions and updates that we have available or that are made available by others and we think may be of interest to you.
You may, at any time, request us to remove your details from our database or reduce the volume of correspondence you receive from us by notifying us using the contact details set out below or using the opt-out facilities provided in the marketing communications.
2.7 How we collect information
There are a number of ways we may collect personal information, including:
- directly from you when you provide personal information by phone, in person or via our website;
- from our own records of your transactions and interaction with Flinders Foundation;
- from publicly available sources of information;
- from third parties who organise fundraising activities on our behalf;
- from a third party known to you who makes a donation and nominates you as the recipient of communication regarding that donation;
- in forms filled out either online or in hard copy;
- face to face or when you speak with us directly;
- via email;
- via online surveys;
- via social media messages or conversations; and
- in voice or image recordings.
Occasionally, we may also collect personal information about you from a third party. When we do so, we will take reasonable steps to ensure that we make you aware of the collection of your information in accordance with the APPs.
2.8 How we hold personal information
We hold personal information in paper form and electronic form. We have in place steps to protect the information we hold from misuse, interference and loss and from unauthorised access, modification or disclosure. This includes complying with the Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard, which covers security of payment card information.
Your personal information is stored on secure servers that are protected in controlled facilities.
We require our employees and data processors to respect the confidentiality of any personal information held by us and that they abide by our confidentiality policy and procedures.
3.0 Our website(s)
3.1 Cookies and collecting information from websites
The purpose of these cookies is to collect information about which pages you view and how they reach you, what you do when they visit a page, the length of time you remain on the page, and how Flinders Foundation performs in providing content to you. This also helps Flinders Foundation to serve you more efficiently if you revisit the website.
We also use Google Analytics to inform us of how visitors use our website based on your browsing habits, so that we can improve our website to make it easier for you to find the information you are seeking. Google also receives this information as you browse our website and other websites on the Google Display Network using Remarketing.
We also use pixel tracking, which indicates when your computer has visited pages on our websites where a pixel has been installed. As with cookies, this does not identify you personally, only the device you are using.
If you would like to optout of customised Google Display Network services and Google Analytics for Display Advertising you can use Google Ad Settings. You can also use the Google Analytics Optout Browser Add on so you are not tracked into Google Analytics.
Flinders Foundation websites may contain links to other websites operated by third parties. Flinders Foundation is not responsible for the privacy practices or the content of any third party websites nor the content of, or any cookies or other tracking devices that are used on, any third party websites. Third party websites are responsible for informing you about their own privacy practices.
4.0 How to make a complaint about a breach of your privacy rights
If you are of the view we have breached the APPs, the Privacy Act, or any related privacy code in dealing with your personal information, you may make a complaint by writing to us using the contact details set out below and we will endeavour to provide you with confirmation as to how we propose to deal with the complaint as soon as reasonably practicable.
If you are not satisfied with our response to your complaint, you may make a complaint to the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner by visiting the following website: https://www.oaic.gov.au/privacy/privacy-complaints/.
5.0 Access to and correction of personal information
5.1 How to obtain access to your personal information
You may obtain access to your personal information, by contacting us using the contact details set out below. When you request copies of your personal information held by us we will endeavour to provide you with such personal information as soon as reasonably practicable.
If you request access to your personal information, we may require you to verify your identity and specify what information you require. There may be occasions when access to personal information we hold about you is denied. Such occasions would include where release of the information would have an unreasonable impact on the privacy of others.
5.2 Correction of personal information
While we will endeavour to ensure that the personal information collected from you is up-to-date accurate and complete, we will assume that any personal information provided by you is free from errors and omissions. You may request that we update or vary personal information that we hold about you using the contact details set out below.
7.0 Contacting us
Attention: Privacy Officer
3 Flinders Drive
BEDFORD PARK SA 5042
(08) 8204 5216